We have been experiencing little set-backs as we progress towards our final designs for the roller and the catapult. The trial with the pistons and the pneumatic system last night produced so much power that the aluminum rod bent. They switched to a steel rod and now we need to hope that the wood prototype doesn't fail in the next trial.
Our parent mentor Doug Palmer created an amazing 2D CAD of the roller mechanism that will be excellent for the machinist to make the parts tomorrow.
We found out that we need to work on the overall work flow for the programmers - they need to learn to save the current code on more than one computer and also in the cloud so that we can access it when the programmers are not present. It set us back at least one hour waiting to figure out the code all over again.
We got the catapult outside in the 9 degree weather and had a successful trial! The ball was flung a good long distance and Hasan was there to catch it. The mechanical and electrical and programming teams were thrilled with the power exhibited with the four cylinders attached. Now they are working on the angle of the trajectory so that they can aim the ball into the tall goals and over the 5ft truss.